Monday 8 April 2013

Finding Your Purpose



Dream jobs. Everybody wants one. Yet how many do you think have it? For most of us, the feeling of being trapped in our current jobs is a sad reality. We are relegated to dreaming that one day, we would land that perfect job and be happy at last. But maybe, the things we yearn for - promotions, perks, more money, are not really the ones that would make us happy and give our life meaning.

In 1943, a psychologist by the name of Abraham Maslow published a paper entitled "A Theory of Human Motivation". He proposed a theory that the needs of human beings were arranged in a hierarchy (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs). The most basic needs, found at the bottom of the pyramid, are physiological needs such as air, food, water,and sleep. Above that are security needs - employment, resources, health, and property. One level below the peak of the pyramid lies self-esteem and respect from others. The highest need are self-actualization needs - morality, creativity, problem-solving, and acceptance.

By J. Finkelstein (I created this work using Inkscape.) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons


What does this mean?

Most people work for money. But this, I believe, does not reflect our highest calling. We have heard the occasional tales of people who have struck it rich yet lead empty lives. All of us look for meaning in our lives. And to be stuck in jobs which do not allow us to attain self-actualization, our highest potential, somehow diminishes who we are. And this is something all of us should think about. Seriously.


How about you? Have you found your purpose?

2 comments:

  1. I do believe I've found the direction towards my purpose. I really want to say I found THE purpose, but when I am being realistic I have to say I'm only just beginning.

    It's true that a lot of people work for money. It's unfortunate and I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to find their purpose. Finding it, for some people, has to be a conscious effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find myself in the same boat. And it is never easy. It is only now that I have turned to writing to find my purpose, and hopefully help other people find theirs as well (as your blog is also doing =). Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete